Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Scorpion Hunting

We went to the Rosenbruch Wildlife Museum in St. George, Utah last week with our friends. It was interesting to see some animals that we had never seen before, but it was also sad because the museum is like a taxidermist's giant trophy room.

The room I really liked was full of insects, arachnids, and a bat that were carefully preserved in display cases. Guy and I decided we wanted to make our own bug displays, so we went scorpion hunting. We put on gloves and bootsThen we grabbed tongs and a small, plastic storage bin. It is best to go scorpion hunting at night with a black light, but instead we just turned over large rocks and grabbed with the tongs.
We found one tiny scorpion our first hunting trip. You can see how he compares to a quarter in the picture. 
After he died, I used hot glue to position him in a display case. There is plenty of room for more scorpions.
On our second trip scorpion hunting we geared up and opened the front door to find a deceased tarantula sitting on the walkway. We didn't find any scorpions, but that didn't matter because we had something better. I let it dry outside for 2 days and then I used hot glue to position the tarantula on a rock in a display case for a baseball.
Now he is in Guy's room. I am guessing it is a 'he' because of the small size. Those lady tarantulas are big. Maybe he died after his woman attacked him. The girls are known to do that after mating.

4 comments:

  1. Your so stinking awesome Shan, cuz there is no way I could sleep with those things in my house! Dead or not :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an awesome mom Shannon! That giant spider FREAKS ME OUT! And you touched him and glued him to a rock! Guy definitely has a cool mom. Can't wait to see what else you hunt down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have nightmares! But I am sure Guy loves them! Glad I have all girls!

    ReplyDelete
  4. EEEEWWWWW! COOOOOLLLLL! That is really awesome. And gross at the same time. But mostly awesome.

    ReplyDelete