Saturday, September 11, 2010

Recycled Clothes

My first project isn't clothing. I took some felt and sewed flowers onto some small pillows I had already made for Sloan's bed. I used half circle pieces that I sewed around and around until I achieved the layered affect I was looking for. I can't take all the credit. I saw this idea at: http://www.vanessachristenson.com/2010/05/guest-blogger-tutorial-allison-of-cluck.html
 
 Next I saw some "Bike Bloomers" at: http://hisforhandmade.blogspot.com/2010/05/biking-bloomers-tutorial.html I gave it a try and they turned out OK. I bought some leggings from WalMart for $6, cut them down, and used the extra fabric to create the ruffle.

Then I ran to my closet and decided I was going to repurpose or recycle all the clothes that I never wear. I started with an over sized striped shirt I got at Old Navy for $1. It did not turn out well, so I am not posting it. Next, I decided to shorten some JCrew pants I never wear.
I want to add camo ribbon through the new bottom section.
We went to the Hurricane City Peach Days fair recently and I saw a "pillowcase dress" for sale for $15. I looked at some different blogs and made this one for my little Sloan. I also want different ribbon for it. I may make another just like it for my sister's little girl. Her birthday is coming up.
In Family Fun magazine I saw a little section about a mother who uses clothes her kids have grown out of to make new clothes for the next season. I took two long-sleeve shirts that Sloan has grown out of and I cut off the sleeves. Then I sewed them onto the short sleeves of two t-shirts my son has grown out of. I added some embellishments to girly them up. This project cost me nothing.
Guy wanted a new shirt too, so I used an old long sleeve shirt that was going to the DI. I sewed them onto a t-shirt he rarely wore, but is going to wear now.
Finally, I was reading through InStyle Magazine and saw a pic of a girl who redesigned some jeans she owned and I felt inspired. Below is a picture of me pinning some old Gap jean that were a little short, and turning them into skinny jeans.
I took out a cheese grater to try to roughen them up. That was OK, but a serrated knife was faster. I scratched them up and washed them to try to make them look more worn.
I am not the greatest seamstress, but I had fun. There are a lot of amazing people out there who have some fun blogs to look at.

2 comments:

  1. SHANNON, your amazing. I love the skinny jean you look great in them. All of the things you made are great, the pillow case dress is so so so cute, good job your awesome... better start your own Blog for your new designs :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shannon, you are amazing! Good job!

    ReplyDelete