Monday, January 31, 2011

Grandma Hoskins

My dear Grandma Phyllis Hoskins passed away last week. My father went grocery shopping for her two weeks ago. He set up her lunch on the coffee table and sat and talked with her for a while. She didn't answer his calls the following two weeks. My dad and his wife Debbie had to break into Grandma's house through the laundry room. They found her lifeless body on the couch. She had probably passed away a week prior. My dad said her health was failing and she was very thin, but it still came as a surprise for everyone.
Below is a picture taken probably 15 years ago.
My Dad, Uncle Jack, Uncle Mike
Aunt Beci, Grandma, Aunt Shauna
Memories of Grandma:
Grandma had a large palm tree in her front yard. I remember encouraging my sister Jessica to help me chop down the tree with our new stick horses. We hit the tree with the stick part until the stuffing fell out of the head. I went into Grandma's house crying and begging my mom to fix the head.
I remember looking through her photo albums and seeing facial shots of her after her face lift. Traumatizing to see her beat up.
She was always crocheting and she made Jack and I a beautiful afghan for our wedding.
I remember my family surprising her with a visit when I was around 12 years old. We drove to California and went to the IRS building where she worked. My Aunt Beci also worked there and she brought her out to see us when we arrived. It was a tearful reunion. We took pictures until security came over and told us we couldn't have a camera on IRS property.
For family night one night, we sat around the kitchen table and took turns recording messages to her on a cassette tape. I hope she thought it was fun to listen to.

I love you Grandma!

1 comment:

  1. You have great memories, that is super funny about the play horse, I wish I could remember more. I do remember going out there to IRS, :) I love Grandma too.

    ReplyDelete